ATEG Archives

January 2015

From:
Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2015 15:34:17 -0800
Karl has given some good examples of cases that might be labeled subjunctive.  There is also the common use with the first person to refer to an internal future time or moral imperative: I should like to go now.  The moral may be accumulated with the social imperative so that we might could use a double modal:  I should ought to go now"  Perhaps the "should" is more internal moral obligation whereas the "ought to" has a more external social obligation.

Bruce