ATEG Archives

September 2008

From:
Linda Di Desidero <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2008 18:33:29 -0400
Carol had also asked about agency. I do agree that this word has
multiple meanings today.

I gave a paper at ATTW a year or two ago with 'agency' in the title, and
I was surprised to find a whole bunch of Kenneth Burke devotees in the
audience! (who seemed rather disappointed that I was not talking about
Burke!)

Here are the slightly different but related uses I've noticed for
'agency'. I'll put them out here and hope that someone wiser than I can
elucidate! (if there's further interest)

1. Philosophy: agency is associated with intention and volition (I'm
thinking of a book by Kenny that I read in grad school)
2. Linguistics: agency can be a characteristic of event participants
(e.g. agents/actors) and refer to the capacity to act with intention,
volition, or control;  You can talk about degrees of agency. Agents are
generally participants in causal events.
3. Rhetoric: agency is generally associated with causality, or with
cultural assumptions about cause. In the Burkean scheme--as I understand
it--agency is associated with the means or the tool to accomplish
something.
4. Writing Studies: agency can be thought of as a tool of the writer;
the writer can make decisions about how to express agency in dynamic or
causal relationships. I also often use agency to refer to the degree of
control a writer maintains over the writing process; the idea for me is
that teachers sometimes diminish student agency by the way in which they
insert themselves in the student's writing process.

By the way, Herb, the two works I remember the most vividly from grad
school are from Thomas Kuhn and George Herbert Mead.
I don't know if they were the best things I've read, but the concepts
have always been useful and have stuck with me over many, many years.

Best--
Linda

Linda Di Desidero, Ph.D.

Acting Director, Communication Studies & Professional Writing

Communication, Arts, and Humanities

University of Maryland University College

3501 University Boulevard East

Adelphi, MD  20783-8083

(240) 582-2830 (department)

(240) 582-2928 (office)