ATEG Archives

November 2007

Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2007 00:13:45 -0500
Bruce,

I profited from those comparative studies--at least the French/English
and the Spanish/English both the phonology and the grammar ones.  I
actually submitted a copy of my dissertation to Professor Stockwell,
the author of one of the Spanish/English studies.  He was quite
complimentary and asked if he could get a copy to write a review once
I had it published.

Unfortunately, my marriage and academy both dissolved shortly after I got
my diploma and I foolishly put off sending a copy to Ann Arbor as the
university required until I found another position nine months later.
I was not worried because I had three copies left: a hardbound and a
loose-leaf for University Microfilms and a copy for me.

Unhappily, my not-for-profit university merged with the University of
Sarasota, which later merged with New York University which merged with
other schools to become Argosy University.  After Katrina swept away my
thesis and two dissertations (PhD and STD) as well as over 2000 books on
grammar, onomastics, illuminated manuscripts, and medieval social history;
I emailed Argosy to get a copy of my PhD dissertation only to find that all
dissertations from Southeastern had been lost in the shuffle.  I sighed and
asked myself why I expected more from a school named for a 1950's men's
magazine.  I am retired on disability and no longer need documents; however,
on occasions, I have longed in vain to share my dissertation.
Scott

Date:    Tue, 6 Nov 2007 04:07:59 -0700
From:    "Bruce D. Despain" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Comparative Semantics was Plurality in nouns

Scott,

Thank you for pointing out the fact that languages differ in how they treat
the same phenomena.  This is a very crucial point that we sometimes want to
ignore when we do an analysis.  Another important facet is that there is
always more to discover in that enormous interface between the grammatical
elements made available by our language and the semantic elements of meaning

coming out of our multitudinous interpretations and understandings.  There
were a number of comparative studies that came out in the 70's treating the
phonology of  certain languages over and against English that were very
helpful to the ESL teacher.  I think some of this kind of work should be
made available in the area of semantics and I would have enjoyed reading
your thesis.  Maybe there are many other works out there like yours that
would contribute to such an effort.

Bruce