ATEG Archives

May 2009

From:
Susan van Druten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 May 2009 17:48:53 -0500
Craig,
Unless you have taught average students in high school (or younger
grades), I think you should rethink your stance. Don't just trust me
on this.  Maybe others who are on this list will chime in: Is
teaching struggling writers to consider varying their sentence start
is a helpful strategy?  If you were intimately familiar with that
type of student writing, you would know that I am not exaggerating
just how robotic their essays can be.

When I cover parallel structure in AP and honors classes, we talk
about the difference between purposeful repetition (emphasis, humor,
known-new, hooks, etc.) and repetition born by uninspired, lazy writing.