ATEG Archives

July 2006

From:
"Patrice D. Williams, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2006 20:33:38 -0500
None of those explanations work for me. They seem forced.

I would, in fact, rely on a traditional explanation, which
would render a different analysis:

Statements #1 & #3 would be logical responses to the
question, "HOW (adverbial) did you spend the
morning/weekend?"

Some possible responses to the above would:
Smiling, Singing my favorite show tunes, listening to the
radio, doing my taxes

Sentence #1,then, would be in response to that question:

Q: HOW did you spend your morning?
A: #1.  I <[SUBJ] spent <[V] the morning, [smiling =
participial/adverbial].

Statement #2 would be a possible response not to the HOW
(the process) but to the WHAT (the activity).

The response to the question above would be a nomimal(in
this case, a gerund).  Consider the following:

Q: With WHAT do you have [the most] trouble? OR WHAT do you
have [the most] trouble with?

A: I have trouble (with)sleeping on my stomach, scratching
my back, singing in tune, smiling at stranger, keeping
secrets, lying to my mom, or even, people who stare,
etcetera)

#2.  I [SUBJ] have [V] trouble [Cf. with "a problem (with)"]
dancing in the dark.

A traditional analysis of #3 would consider the HOW
(adverbial) response to the question, "HOW did you spend
your weekend?"

This is HOW:  #3.  I spent the weekend building a shed.

As in #1, the focus is on the process or way the weekend was
SPENT, not on the activity iself (WHAT).

Consider another example:  I wasted time getting my hair
done. Again, the focus is not on the activity, or WHAT, but
on HOW that activity resulted in wasting time.

In essence, I would analyze the verbals in #1 & #3 as
adverbial and that in #2 as nominal (specifically, a gerund).

Patrice D.Williams, Ph.D.,  Associate Professor of English Troy University, Montgomery Campus [log in to unmask]