ATEG Archives

April 2009

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 2009 14:09:53 -0400
A couple of days ago, I had a student in my office asking about exactly
the same issue -- his paper for another class had been marked down about
a letter grade for "person" --> "they" shifts, and as he had a different
class in which it wouldn't have been an issue, he was trying to figure
out how "official" the rule was. I tell my own students that I want them
to be able to follow the rule, since there are still a number of
audiences that expect it. I mark it on papers, but I don't let it drop
the students below a major grade boundary.

As a side note, I sometimes find that kind of rule useful for something
that has no direct connection to the purpose it ostensibly serves: it
forces writers to look at the actual words on the page. Attempting to
follow the rule promotes close reading as a side-effect.

Bill Spruiell