ATEG Archives

May 2006

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2006 15:55:04 -0700
With apologies for dissecting the frog...

Since we're talking of individual bears rather than meat, and since
'bear' doesn't admits a null plural (like sheep), you have a
subject-verb agreement problem. Also, the recursion seems a little
problematic because when the null relative pronoun is in subject
position, you can't omit 'that'.

 Bare bear(s) bear bare bear(s) [that] bear bear(s)...

However that reminds me of the sentence in Stephen Pinker's The Language
Instinct (which IIRC he attributes to a grad student):

 Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

(= The bison from Buffalo that (other) bison from Buffalo intimidate
(themselves)  intimidate bison from Buffalo)

Karl