ATEG Archives

November 2006

From:
Robert Yates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2006 22:36:23 -0600
Craig,

Thank you for the rewrite.

Here is the sentence you rewrote:

Another reason that students' critical thinking might be unwittingly
limited through oral
discussion without written translation might be the passion and
eloquence with which the instructor's theoretical position is
communicated.

****
I read this sentence as being about how students' critical thinking can
be limited in oral discussion.
One factor is the passion and eloquence an instructor may use in
expressing his/her position.

I appear to suffer from a reading deficit.  This rewrite doesn't capture
my understanding of the problematic sentence.

 "Teachers should give contrary views, and they should argue for
alternative sides with equal passion. This will help students go from
class discussion to a written response without feeling that a "correct"
view is called for."

It is interesting how the rewrite changes the entire focus of the
sentence away from how instructors can negatively influence critical
thinking of students to how to help students not feel they need to give
a "correct" view.  Perhaps there is little difference between critical
thinking and a correct view, but I think they are not the same.

I thank you again for your time in answering my questions.

Bob Yates, University of Central Missouri