ATEG Archives

February 2014

From:
"Hancock, Craig G" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2014 19:42:19 +0000
Michael,
    The fact that "their President" follows means "undermining" is functioning as non-finite verb, not as noun. (How else could it carry direct object in its construction?) That would be my thinking.
    "Democrats' undermining of their President" would be a noun phrase version and the possessive would be more appropriate.
    Traditional grammar uses gerund far too readily.

Craig