ATEG Archives

March 2006

From:
Jan Kammert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:16:36 -0800
Eduard's #2 below made me think about when I took statistics as a graduate
student.  I kept asking my professors why certain formulas worked.  I
thought that if I understood what the function was, memorizing the
formulas would be easier, and the entire process would make sense.  The
professors never answered my questions, and I began to think that they
didn't know either.

Until after I had started teaching grammar, it never occurred to me to ask
how or why grammar works.  Maybe many people feel as if they can speak
well enough to be understood, and that's all that matters.
Jan