ATEG Archives

April 2009

From:
"Castilleja, Janet" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 2009 11:43:37 -0700
Well, now I see a problem with my initial analysis.  I can't make the
sentence passive and still retain 'their best.'

* Their best to express what love means to them has been tried by
artists.
* To express what love means to them has been tried their best by
artists.

'To express what love means to them has been tried by artists.'  This
works but it is a different sentence.  I tried several different
iterations, but I couldn't keep 'their best.' I think 'their best' must
be adverbial, and you just can't keep it when you make the sentence
passive.

Janet