ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2006 21:01:08 -0400
Bill,
   I have pretty much used phrase structure diagrams for my own purposes,
which means "predicate phrase" rather than verb phrase, and heavy
functional labelling. In fact, I tell my students that we can put as
much information as we want to into the diagrams. I ask my classes to
do them for the basic clause, and after that, I use them to show
various new concepts, but some students like them enough to keep on
using them on their own. My optional final is a passage for them to
interact with, using whatever seems appropriate from their own
knowledge base, and last time through at least a half dozen students
diagrammed all the sentences.    >
   Diagrams are somewhat analytical, but so is syntax. It helps, I think,
to convince them that they are bringing to consciousness what they
already know about the sentence. You can set up problems, like
prepositional phrases in the predicate that may be adjectival or
adverbial, prepositions that may go with the verb or with a following
noun phrase, and so on. So the diagram is a solution to a riddle. I
have given a list of abbreviations and told them not to worry about
memorizing those; it's just a way to have conversation about your
perspective on the sentence, nothing more.
   I loved Reed/Kellog diagrams when I was in what we then called "Junior
High." Maybe that explains myt life-long love of grammar, but phrase
sgtructure diagrams just seem to reflect a deeper understanding. Phrase
structure diagrams force them to think of the phrase as a basic unit
(of one or more words) and they leave word order intact. No one owns
the copyright on them, so we can use them very flexibly.
   The main point, and I think we agree on this one, is that they are
never ends in themselves.

Craig