ATEG Archives

April 2008

From:
Beth Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2008 16:23:03 -0400
Ooooh, this is sooo depressing!

The organization FairTest www.fairtest.org might be able to help.

I learned about the organization when reading something by freelance writer, David Owen--he has written in various places about the SAT (e.g., here in the New Yorker http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2006/04/03/060403ta_talk_owen  and in a book called _None of the Above_).  I don't have any experience w/the organization itself (but I'm sure glad it exists!)

Beth

Dr. Beth Rapp Young
http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~byoung

University of Central Florida
Reach for the Stars

>>> Michael Kischner <[log in to unmask]> 4/3/2008 1:35 PM >>>
A psychologist friend of mine now living in Idaho is coaching nurses for a
test they must pass in English skills.  The test used by the state of Idaho
for this purpose is called the "Test of Essential Academic Skills" and is
published by "ATI" which stands for Assessment Technologies Institute.  In
her coaching, my friend is using the official Pre-Test Study Manual
published by ATI.

 She has been so shocked by what she has found in the Test Study Manual that
she called to ask if I know of an official professional body that might
pronounce judgment on a company putting out shoddy, error-filled material.
I don't think ATEG is in the business of issuing such pronouncements, but I
wonder if people out there with what are now called "creds" in English
grammar and usage would be willing to express themselves on the
materials.  Does
anybody know to whom one might report ATI?

These examples are all from the ATI-published official Pre-Test Study Manual
for the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS).  "ATI" stands for the
Assessment Technologies Institute. **

 *Example A:  *See Page 175, Item #19

 Original:  The building which was a firetrap was torn down.

 Corrected:  The building, which was a firetrap, was torn down.  **

 *Example B:*  See Page 175, Item #23

 Original:  We expect them moment

                 arily.

 Corrected:  We expect them moment-

                    arily.   [This is supposed to be an example of correct
syllabication.]

 *Example C:  *See Page 175, Item #26

 Original:  May I interrupt you for a moment?

 Corrected:  May I interrupt you for a moment.  [Reason given is that the
imperative requires a period rather than a question mark.]

 *Example D:  *See Page 178,  Example #1:

 A teacher's work (it has often been spoken), begins when the dismissal bell
rings. [This is offered as an example of good English usage.  Note the
punctuation.]

*Example E:  *See Page 184, Item #12

 Original:  On Saturdays, the cooking is done by me and the laundry is done
by my sister.

 Corrected:  Saturdays, I do the cooking and my sister does the laundry.

 ***Example F:  *See Page 190, Item #9

 Original:  Mr. Thomas was fired from Washington High because so many
students failed the exam.  This was unfortunate.

 Corrected:  It is unfortunate Mr. Thomas was fired from Washington High
because so many students failed the exam.  [Reason given is that the
referent is ambiguous for "This" in the second sentence of the original.  Is
the corrected version much better, though?]

 *Example G:  *See Page 191, Item #11

 Original:  The meeting lasted all day, and nothing was accomplished.

 Corrected:  The meeting lasted all day, however nothing was
accomplished.  [Reason
given is that in the first sentence two ideas of unequal importance were
joined by a coordinating conjunction.  Can you believe the corrected
version?]