ATEG Archives

June 1997

From:
Michael Southwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 1997 13:57:08 -0400
At 00:00 27 06 97 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello, all. I am looking for websites about English grammar. I am
>interested in sites that include the traditional approach, but also in
>sites that incorporate functionalist or more linguistically-based
>descriptions. I would also be interested in anything available on CD-ROM.

Hi, Johanna,

I too hesitate to blow my own horn, at least in this public forum, but the
textbook I co-authored with Mary Epes, Mastering Written English, now in
its 5th edition from Prentice Hall, is based on a comprehensive functional
grammar which has been developed over about 20 years and the four previous
editions.  It uses a practical (and practice-based) approach which is very
far indeed from the theoretical.  You might find it interesting and/of
useful; many students have.  Particularly interesting, I think, is our
approach to syntax, which can be seen more fully developed in a new book,
Mastering Written Sentences, due out at the end of the year.
DNEBA Enterprises                     Department of English
81 South Road                             York College/CUNY
Bloomingdale, NJ 07403-1425               Jamaica, NY 11451
973/492-7873              718/262-2470 (office), 2896 (fax)
[log in to unmask]  http://www.york.cuny.edu/~southwell