ATEG Archives

June 2006

From:
Kathleen Bethell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jun 2006 08:52:15 -0400
I had a similar problem once when I wrote a college essay about our major
league baseball team.  I referred to "Tigers pitcher xxx," and my prof sent
it back with a correction "Tigers' pitcher xxx."

A single player is a Tiger, but the team name is the Tigers. I don't think a
team name is ever really a plural; it's just the name. Is an individual Sox
player a Sock? Just to muddy the waters a bit more, they played at that time
in Tiger Stadium (a formulation which functions much as the tiger cage at
the zoo, which is not a tigers' cage nor, in the case of many zoos, even a
tiger's cage).

My inclination was to follow sports writing convention on the assumption
that the readers would notice any deviation from sports writing convention;
my prof, on the other hand, wanted a more strict interpretation of the Law
governing possessives.

I'm still baffled.

-- Kathleen Bethell