ATEG Archives

January 2001

From:
Reinhold Schlieper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 15:28:42 -0500
Why don't you simply run the writing through any grammar checker? The
final statistics will yield some readability index in terms of readability
or grade level. The formula itself is based on number of polysyllabic
words, number of sentences per paragraph, and number of words per
sentence.  The calculation isn't entirely reliable.  People who use
incredible numbers of acronyms and abbreviations are likely to get great
grammar-checker results and yet still produce extremely difficult writing.
The advantage of this system is that almost all writers have a grammar
checker at their fingertips; any other method is going to be either too
abstract or too cumbersome.

==Reinhold