ATEG Archives

March 1997

From:
Bob Yates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 09:06:05 CST
On Tue, 25 Mar 1997 14:55:56 -0500 Martha Kolln said:
>Your use of anymore to mean nowadays (as Bill Murdick mentioned) is
>certainly not a "mistake"; however, we can say that it's not a part of
>standard written English, as is true of many spoken forms.  Here in Western
>PA we often hear "my hair needs washed"--right?

The past participle after `need' is not just restricted to Western PA.
It continues west (staying essentially south of I-80 and north of the Ohio
River) to as far west as Kansas City.  Here in Warrensburg, Missouri (50
miles east of KC) I saw the following ad by a local real estate company:

   We have a lot of houses that need sold.

I have heard the President of our Faculty Senate, a native of Missouri, use
the construction.

Tech writers at Catterpillar Tractor Co. in Peoria, Illinois are taught that
that it must not be used anything they write.

Bob Yates, Central Missouri State University, [log in to unmask]