ATEG Archives

June 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 2008 16:24:52 -0400
Dick,
   Wouldn't "society at large" include "at-risk individuals"? If that's
the case, then "as well as" is out of place; something like "especially
at-risk individuals" would seem more appropriate. I think that's what's
throwing you--"as well as" usually compounds, but you can't compound
something by adding something it already includes.
   "Everybody, as well as at-risk individuals"... Seems goofy.
   Are "at-risk individuals" outside of mainstream (at large?) society. If
so, then that should be make more explicit.
   Even so, the commas make it awkward.
   Here are my choices:
   Good policy will come when mainstream society as well as those outside
the mainstream who are most at-risk are educated about HPV. (Commas
would make it seem like an aside while "as well as" compounds. I would
advise against it.)

   Good policy will come when society at large, especially those most
at-risk, is educated about HPV. (This seems to me the best solution,
provided it's in harmony with the writer's intentions.)

Craig

A little help, please, with subject/verb agreement in a sentence. These