ATEG Archives

April 2009

From:
Larry Beason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 2009 17:42:16 -0500
Dear Colleagues:

From time to time, I'm approached to consult or provide expert testimony for a lawyer when the matter involves a grammar or technical writing issue.  But I'm never sure what is appropriate in terms of fees for billable hours, especially in terms of serving as an expert witness.  Expert witnesses for medical issues (as in the case of physicians) can be paid quite a bit, but it's not necessarily the same for all fields of expertise.

If anyone on the list has served as an expert witness for grammar issues in particular and you do not mind sharing with me the 'hourly fee' usually provided you, please feel free to contact me off list with such info.  I could post the general info (without names) that I receive with the ATEG list if people have an interest in knowing.

Frankly, I enjoy such consulting because it helps inform my teaching (one instance involved perfect tense, but I won't go there), but I thought I should see what others have found to be fair compensation.

Larry Beason

Larry Beason
Associate Professor & Composition Director
Dept. of English, 240 HUMB
Univ. of South Alabama
Mobile AL 36688
(251) 460-7861