ATEG Archives

February 2006

From:
Martha Kolln <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 22:18:12 -0500
Dear Allison,

Thank you so much for your generous words.  I'm thrilled to know that
UEG had a positive influence on your career path.

Your question about scope and sequence is not silly at all.  We tend
to toss these terms around, assuming everyone knows what we mean.
And sometimes it turns out that each of us has a different meaning in
mind.   In general, scope refers to the content of the curriculum,
and sequence to its timing.  What features of grammar should we
teach; when should we start (3rd grade, 5th? Kindergarten?) and
where?  That is, what comes first?  How do we integrate it into the
curriculum in a meaningful way?  And all of  these questions--and
their answers--must take into account the children's development of
language and their ability at various ages to understand abstract
concepts.   So S&S is a big topic, indeed.  And very controversial.

We certainly welcome your ideas.  And I hope you can join us at ATEG
this summer.

Martha