ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
David D Mulroy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 11:13:31 -0500
With all due respect to opposing points of view, I think that Jeff Glauner
has it right.  What is desperately needed is the systematic study of
grammar from the beginning of a student's formal education.  I am working
on a book making this case from my perspective as a classicist at a public
university.  My impression is that ignorance of grammar has caused a
serious decline in writing ability among college students and has made it
impossible for most of them to learn a foreign language.  (In this
respect, my campus is typical.  With the possible exception of Spanish,
the foreign language departments are all dying.) I joined ATEG in order to
gain further insights into the issue, and have certainly not been
disappointed.

From what I have seen, the research used to justify the elimination of
grammar is relatively short-term.  In other words, it has been demonstated
that the addition of grammar lessons to English composition classes does
not improve writing.  This seems to me to be a very obvious and
unimportant conclusion, since grammar, like a arithmetic, takes a long
time to learn properly.  There are schools that teach grammar
systematically from the third grade on.  Anecdotal evidence suggests that
their students do extremely in all aspects of the language arts.  If the
NCTE research were correct, the opposite would be true.  Students who
wasted all that time studying grammar should be severely crippled by the
time that they reached high school.  In my book, I think that I will
urge studies to compare the achievements of students with such curricula
with others.  All of your comments are welcome.

David Mulroy
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee