ATEG Archives

February 2001

From:
Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 18:32:53 -0800
Is generative grammar only about syntax?

Generative syntax relies a great deal on the lexicon for its devices to
work. A great deal of information that controls the grammaticality of
'surface structures' is in the lexical entries of words that appear in
the sentence. The book I am currently using for a grad intro ling class,
Contemporary Linguistics: An Introduction by O'Grady et al., 4th
edition, includes the lexicon as part of syntactic theory. So far as I
can tell (I don't follow current generative syntax), the book is very up
to date.( I suppose there might be theories of language that separate
the lexicon from syntax, and posit some kind of interface mechanism.)

To give an example, a verb like 'put' would have specified in its
lexical entry that it MUST 'surface' in a structure that includes
expressions coding both a 'theme' (thing put) and 'loc' (an expression
naming the location in which the thing is put). In this way, it is
guaranteed that, if you choose 'put' for a sentence, you will not fail
to include the necessary complements.

By way of a general comment, I don't believe that mathematical models
are appropriate for modelling language. Language has its own principles
and organization; these have a lot to do with cognitive psychology and
the way the human brain works, not with abstract mathematical or logical
theories (this is the perspective of practitioners of non-generative
linguistics, anyway). We may someday be able to model the activity of
the brain mathematically, but this seems a rather indirect way of
modelling language. And of course we would then be describing all of
human behavior, not just language.

Johanna Rubba   Assistant Professor, Linguistics
English Department, California Polytechnic State University
One Grand Avenue  • San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Tel. (805)-756-2184  •  Fax: (805)-756-6374 • Dept. Phone.  756-259
• E-mail: [log in to unmask] •  Home page: http://www.cla.calpoly.edu/~jrubba