ATEG Archives

February 1998

From:
Sara Garnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 15:14:04 -0500
ATEG'ers,

Since I haven't received any postings from ATEG for months, I hope the list
is still alive and well.  I did want to thank everyone for the suggestions
sent last fall in response to my request for suggestions of readings to use
in a seminar that I am now currently teaching.

I'll copy the syllabus.  At mid-term, the discussions are lively with a
group of grad students from English and TESOL.

Thanks for your help!

Sara

English 872: Seminar in the English Language: Grammar and Composition

Winter 1998, M W 9:30-11:18 a.m.; 38 Derby Hall

Professor Sara Garnes, 411 Denney Hall, 292-8265; English Department:
292-6065; home  and messages: 267-8167; e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Office Hours: R 10-11:30 a.m. and 1-2:30 p.m., and by appointment

BRIEF STATEMENT OF OBJECTIVES:

In this class, we will investigate relationships between grammar and
composition in teaching native and non-native speakers of English, i.e. L1
and L2 students.  We will explore the history and politics of various
approaches to the subject.  Our explorations will include a survey of
computerized “grammar checkers” as applied to L1 and L2 discourse.

Some of the questions we will attempt to answer are
        Is there a place for grammar in a composition course?
        What are the relationships between and among style, grammar, and discourse?
        How does the grammar of sentences affect the quality of discourse?
        How are the histories of teaching grammar and composition related?
        How have issues of linguistic diversity affected attitudes toward
variation in                    academic writing?
        What is Standard American English, and who gets to decide?
        How and why have pedagogies of teaching composition to L1 and L2 students
                differed?

REQUIRED TEXTS:

CCCC’s Statement, “Students’ Rights to Their Own Language”
Haussamen, Brock.  Revising the Rules: Traditional Grammar and Modern
Linguistics,    2nd ed.  Dubuque: Kendall/Hunt, 1997.
Hunter, Susan and Ray Wallace, eds.  The Place of Grammar in Writing
Instruction: Past,      Present, and Future.  Portsmouth, NH: Boynton/Cook, 1995.
Kolln, Martha.  Rhetorical Grammar: Grammatical Choices, Rhetorical
Effects, 2nd ed.        Boston: Allyn and Bacon, 1996.
Noguchi, Rei.  Grammar and the Teaching of Writing: Limits and
Possibilities.  Urbana,         IL: NCTE, 1991.
Odlin, Terence, ed.  Perspectives on Pedagogical Grammar.  Cambridge:
Cambridge UP,   1994.

Selected articles will be provided.

REQUIREMENTS, PAPERS, EXAMS:
Grades will be based on regular participation in class, including leading
class discussion of two readings (20%); regular participation on the class
listserv (20%); brief written report on the grammar checker analysis (15%);
a final project including a proposal, distribution of annotated
bibliography, in-class presentation, and a final paper (45%).

SYLLABUS:

Week I    Grammar and L1
 M Jan 5  Introductions.
        Run grammar checker on text I will send out e-mail and note     results.
 W Jan 7  Kolln, chs. 1, 2, 3

Week II
 M Jan 12  Kolln, chs. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
        What do grammar checkers do . . . and not do?  Report and report results
of      analysis of common text.
 W Jan 14  Kolln, chs. 9, 10
        Select a text for analysis and compare results with those for common text.

Week III
 M Jan 19  No class.  Martin Luther King, Jr. Day observed.
 W Jan 21  Hunter & Wallace, Intro and “Present” essays
        Summarize grammar checker findings.

Week IV  Grammar and L2
 M Jan 26  Odlin, Preface, chs. 1, 2, 4
        Due: Analysis of grammar checker project.
 W Jan 28  Odlin, chs. 5, 6, 7, 8

Week V
 M Feb 2  Odlin, chs. 9, 10, 11, 12, 13; article by Celce-Murcia, et al.
from TESOL      Quarterly, 31 (Spring 1997), 141-152.
 W Feb 4  Linguistic Diversity
        CCCC’s Statement on Students’ Rights to Their Own Language

Week VI Grammar and Writing Instruction: Past Practices
 M Feb 9  Hunter & Wallace, “Past” essays
        Make appointment to discuss options for project
 W Feb 11   Continue discussing H&W “Past” essays

Week VII  Out of the Past and into the Future
 M Feb. 16  Haussamen
        Due: Proposal for project.
 W Feb 18  Continue discussing Haussamen

Week VIII
 M Feb 23 and W Feb 25  Noguchi

Week IX
 M Mar 2 and W Mar 4  Hunter & Wallace, “Future” essays

Week X
 M Mar 9  Begin making oral presentations of projects; distribute annotated
bibliographies
 W Mar 11  Finish making presentations as needed.  Course evaluation.
Final log entries.

Exam Week
 R March 19  Papers due
(Papers will be available T Mar 24.)