ATEG Archives

May 2009

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 2009 14:00:52 -0400
Bruce, Ed,
   I don't think "for" in sentence initial position would create a
sentence fragment in traditional grammar since it is thought of as
coordinating rather than subordinating. In that sense, it acts like
"and", "but", "or", "nor", "so", and "yet", which often occur sentence
initially without being "errors".
   When some of these occur sentence initially, I believe there is a
constraint against a results type clause following.
   "*For he's a jolly good fellow, we welcomed him."  As opposed to plain
old "For he's a jolly good fellow" or "Because he's a jolly good
fellow, we welcomed him." Even "but" is constrained that way. It can't
set up a contradicting clause to a clause that follows. "*But we liked
him, he was sometimes grumpy." Compare "Although we liked him, he was
sometimes grumpy."
   One reason for coordinating conjunctions in sentence opening slot is
that they often conjunct more than a single sentence.  Since the clause
they introduce doesn't have a grammatical role in another clause, they
maintain a grammatical independence. Another argument for accepting it,
of course, is the one Ed makes; many of our best writers do it all the
time, to great effect.

Craig>

 The same thing might be said of sentence fragments in general.  Sometimes