ATEG Archives

November 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:22:03 -0500
> Herb,
    To me, seeing it as complex transitive helps show the similarities to
other complements that tend to be brought about by the action.    He
made me captain. He made me angry. He put me in my place. All three,
of course, are easily re-expressed as copular complements. "I am
captain." "I am angry." "I am in my place."
   I like your goals. If they come out of the course remembering that
different verbs "license" different kinds of complements, and that
shades of meaning come with that, I think they will be well served.
   Mark Turner uses the sentence as "story" in "The Literary Mind".  I
find that very productive. It may also be what Halliday means when he
talks about this as the most congruent way of understanding the world.
(Actors and processes and circumstances.) When sentences become
"nominalized", the processes get embedded into the noun phrases, and it
can be hard to unpack the meanings. I just sent a reply to Bob that
includes a pretty good example. Here's another.
   "The nominalization of processes into the actor roles of a sentence is
a characteristic of complex prose within the technical disciplines."
Halliday calls it "grammatical metaphor." My apologies for mixing the
posts, but it seemed a useful connection.

Craig

Craig,