ATEG Archives

June 2008

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:23:43 -0400
I can't give an exact quote (I'm traveling, and away from my notes), but the definition of nouns in Lindley Murray's grammar (one of the primary influences on the American school-grammar tradition) didn't use "thing" at all, but rather something like, "object upon which the intellect can operate" -- a kind of wording that made it clear Murray was including extremely abstract notions. I suspect "thing" was substituted as soon as enough teachers tried to work with Murray's phrase in front of first-graders. Of course, since "thing" can mean "inanimate physical object" or "objects and also abstract notions," and elementary students are not particularly focused on the abstract, it's usually the "physical object" reading that comes into play in classrooms.

I've encountered lesson plans in which the English teacher encourages students to classify nouns into "their three basic categories: people, places, and things." That's a completely artificial activity -- English nouns can easily be classified on the basis of their usage, etc. (count vs. noncount, proper vs. common, etc.) but the "people/place/thing" division is not one the language regularly "encodes" (unlike in some languages, names of places in English don't all get a special suffix, etc.).  It's a bit like telling students, "Classify these verbs into their three basic categories: motions, stationary activities, and everything else." I can't think of many better examples of the danger of reifying definitions.

Bill Spruiell
Dept. of English
Central Michigan University