ATEG Archives

July 1999

Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 07:52:23 EDT

Dear Elvis Ho,

greetings! congratulations on your upcoming opportunity.

while you may want to purchase a grammar book, I do not believe that the
comprehensive grammar of English is  necessary.

I teach at the college level, and as I am a linguist,  I own all three of the
Quirk & Greenbaum grammars (A concise grammar of English; a Grammar of
English; A Comprehensive Grammar of English).  But almost never do I consult
the biggest volume of the Quirk series.  SOMETIMES I do, but that is so rare.
 So, I'd say, no need to spend the huge money for that book at this point.

Greenbaum, I believe, does a much smaller book called College Grammar, which
is good.  And you are right, the Quirk/Greenbaum references are very solid
ones.

I think you might appreciate having either Quirk & Greenbaum's Concise
Grammar of English, or their Grammar of English.

Also, as people on this list know, I'm mighty fond of Max Morenberg's DOING
GRAMMAR (Oxford University Press). This would be another reference for you as
teacher, accompanied, I'd expect by a handbook. A handbook I have liked very
much is DECISIONS, by .... Rosen, published out of Allyn & Bacon. Rosen is
the director of the Harvard Expository Writing

But again, these would be more for your own reference, rather than for using
with the schoolchildren.

and now, i am off for a week in North Carolina!

best wishes

rebecca wheeler

Rebecca S. Wheeler, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of English