ATEG Archives

June 2001

From:
Sophie Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 16:54:58 +1000
Shun, I agree with you. Syntax is logical: it's just that we are good
at obscuring this fact with silly terminology. For instance,
does it make sense to say of this sentence that `lives' denotes habit
and `has been' result:

He lives in Hong Kong even though he has been in New York for years' ?

I urge that it does not: the foregoing sentence lives sensibly as a claim to
the
effect that someone remains (attitudinally, etc.) a Hong Kong dweller
despite his
long location in New York.

Besides, how can something be called a `result' when it has no cause?

Sophie