ATEG Archives

June 2001

From:
Helene Krauthamer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 15:04:21 -0700
The seventh grade student essay is very interesting,
and for the sake of convenience, I've copied and
pasted it below.  The writer is setting up a pattern
of ICs. Sometimes they are separated with
conjunctions, and sometimes there's just the comma.
Maybe the pattern is what makes the comma splice seem
acceptable.

Best Friends

     Me and my Friends get along good, but only me and
my best of Friends get along great. Sure everyone says
this, but not that many people can say they have, sort
of like, an  adopted sister. You see, I have three
brothers and no sisters,  and I like pretending I have
sisters. I even have a friend that  people believe we
are sisters, her name is Mary Evans. We  look almost
like sisters, we both have brown eyes and brown  hair,
and we love going shopping together. Sometimes we
wear the same clothes and go out, to eat or something,
and  people say we look like each other and we just
say we are  sisters. Of cours we can't say we are
twins, because of an age  difference, she's 20 I'm 13.
We can always say we're sisters  who like each other a
lot. Of course, I have more than one best  friend, I
have around eight or nine. I have a best friend in
each  class, even in lunch. In first period, I have
Barbara, second  period there's Sandi, and in third my
best friend is Lori and  Barbara. Unfortunately we get
to 4th period, and that's where  Sherri is my friend.
Then in 5th there's Lori and Sandi,  in 6th there's
Lori and Annie. Oh, I almost forgot lunch. in  lunch
there's Sherri, Barbara, and Carrie. With all these
people  I have at least one thing in common, either
hair or eye color, or  even disliking or liking the
same people. It doesn't matter what  we have in
common, we will always have something to talk  about.
True friends are hard to find.

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/