ATEG Archives

December 2011

From:
"Hancock, Craig G" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 2011 19:49:01 +0000
Karl, et. al.
     I haven't looked at the SAT in  a year or so but I think I remember questions about the most felicitous choice (not just error.) Has that changed?
    One problem with calling this sentence "awkward" is that we have taken it out of its discourse context. In this form , the fact that Beth outperforms her sisters in games is placed in the main clause AND in sentence ending prominence.  The fact that we are told that  they practice equally hard seems to me to show the author is setting this up to declare a different reason for Beth's game performance, perhaps greater talent or grittiness or heart.  The sentence seems very reasonably structured for those purposes. It's very common in journalism and academic writing to start with  attribution. What follows has a somewhat independent syntax (almost like a projected clause in a direct quote.) "Their high school coach said, "Although Beth and her sisters practice equally hard, Beth outperforms them in games."In that form, I don'rt think it would raise an eyebrow.
    My main problem with the SAT's is that they purport to test knowledge about language, but are afraid to do so directly. It seems to me that most high school students wouldn't understand the dynamics of this sentence sufficiently well enough to have a conversation about it. John's students may be an exception. For the most part, the SAT asks for intuitive decisions.
    If you are directly teaching grammar and want to test for that, you would ask very different kinds of questions. In the current environment, very few students would do well.

Craig