ATEG Archives

September 2007

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2007 08:56:04 -0400
DD,
   At some point we should just agree to disagree given very different
views of the world and enormously different values. But it does bother
me that you seem not to believe the facts I am trying to report.
   On values issues: I care also what happens on America's farms, though
I am not a farmer. If my tax dollars are needed to give farmers tax
breaks, I am willing to do that. Farms need customers, and consumers
need farms. Our current interest in alternative fuels is driving up the
cost of corn. I'm not sure how or why you want to draw these "us against
them" kinds of lines.
   I just can't see the need for "triage" in education or these budget
formulas which assume we don't have the money to do the job. We are a
rich nation, and we will be far the richer if we adequately fund all our
schools. It is an investment, not a drain.
   My students are "superior", but the admissions profile may not show
that. That's the whole point. I also teach at a world class university.
There is no "dumbing down." The mission of my program is to help
students be successful in very demanding university programs, not to
lobby for relaxation of standards. We do just that. You want to explain
it away without questioning your own narrow view of the world.
   My interest in grammar comes in part from an interest in demystifying
literacy. To the extent that we can do that, success will be less and
less an accident of birth and more and more a result of good schools and
good teaching.
   I understand your position that there are perhaps millions of
students out there who should be allowed to fail because we don't have
the resources we need to teach them. I would challenge your belief that
these students are unteachable or that we have tests that are capable of
culling them out.  It is a position that seems grounded in narrowly
conceived self interest, not in science. Quite frankly, it seems more
fascist than democratic.

Craig