ATEG Archives

September 2011

From:
"Hancock, Craig G" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2011 12:33:33 -0400
    I seem to remain living proof that error is an inevitable aspect of life. I must have thought of Keeneshaw Georgia and unwittingly led John down the primrose path.
    It seems to me that most real life language choices all reside in the realm of "correctness," but construe what is under focus in different ways. I can imagine a context in which the more redundant form would be preferable; trying to reinforce the definition of "peninsula" for a school aged audience, for example. The author might conclude that "surrounded on three sides" would be a helpful reminder. In a "holistic grammar," we would be sensitive to context. All sentences would be thought of as part of a whole, even if they were only one sentence wholes.

Craig

From: John Dews-Alexander <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thursday, September 29, 2011, 11:03 AM

Perhaps the author objects to the passive voice (although I'm not sure what the justification would be if the sentence is in isolation)? By the way, a Google search of the sentence shows several sites, including the Keeneshaw Chamber of Commerce, using that wording. The natives don't seem to object!

John

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 9:50 AM, Hancock, Craig G <[log in to unmask]<[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
    It's also possible that "Peninsula" connotes "surrounded on three sides," so this would be mildly redundant. "The Keeneshaw Peninsula juts into Lake Superior" or "is bounded by Lake superior." Something like that would be cleaner.
   It seems to me more and more that handbooks are in the business of discovering error in the same way that drug companies are in the business of discovering new diseases. At a certain point, it becomes self serving (to the companies) and dangerous to the public, complete with serious side effects.
  The best way to avoid error is to shut up or die.
  We should declare a moratorium on error and invent something comparable to holistic medicine.
  Holistic grammar? It might get attention.
Craig

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [ Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/<http://us.mc1121.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=ATEG@To%20join%20or%20leave%20this%20LISTSERV%20list%2C%20please%20visit%20the%20list%27s%20web%20interface%20at:%20%20%20%20%20http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.htmland%20select>

--
--