ATEG Archives

June 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 2009 19:33:45 -0400
But if "ain't" is a contraction of "am not" that has generalized to all other present forms of "be," then its behavior would be identical with that of "be."  How would traditional terminology treat "be" in "Isn't he home yet?"  Perhaps I'm showing my own uncertainty as to whether traditional grammarians would call the main verb the auxiliary+verb, just the lexical verb whatever its form, or just the tensed auxiliary.

Have and be are anomalous among English verbs in that they behave both as auxiliaries and as lexical verbs, although "have" shows more variation across dialects in this behavior.

Herb