ATEG Archives

April 2001

From:
Maureen Fitzpatrick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 20:19:09 -0500
Rex--

Bear in mind all of this comes from a community college teacher, not a high
school teacher, so value their advice over mine.

For your own frame of mind this summer, read _The Freedom Writers' Diary_
and look at how Erin Gruwell focuses on inspiring and interesting her
students over discipline (don't dismiss discipline, but I personally advise
against making it the centerpiece of the first class), keep track of all the
legitimate competing concerns the average teen has so you understand not all
your students' actions in your class reflect on you or the class itself, and
learn from the one fatal mistake Gruwell makes -- she doesn't seem to ever
trust or attempt to work with her fellow teachers and peers at the Long
Beach High School where she worked for four years. If she had learned how to
collaborate and be mentored, I can't help thinking she might still be
teaching high school. Of course, I think she's working at a college now, so
it isn't a completely sad ending, but I think the best thing you can do is
find yourself a couple of mentors -- one on campus who can help you navigate
the school's culture and maybe one through the NCTE's mentoring program (if
they offer it again this fall -- keep checking
http://www.ncte.org/teach2000/ ). The value of an off-campus mentor is that
it gives you a place to vent.

Maureen Fitzpatrick
Associate Professor, Johnson County Community College