ATEG Archives

February 2004

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:36:46 -0800
For anyone who is interested in such things, a while back I placed
copies of Reed & Kellogg's _Graded Lessons in English_ and _Higher
Lessons in English_ in the Project Gutenberg archive, which makes them
available for easy searching of such terms.

A quick check shows that R&K actually _do_ use the term "complement,"
and mean it in more or less the way that linguists still do (required
elements after a verb). But they call the subject complement an
"attribute complement." They also use the term "object complement," but
mean the direct object. See lessons 28 & 29 of _Higher Lessons_. They
mention the terms "predicate noun" and "predicate adjective" but don't
make much of them.

Karl Hagen
Department of English
Mount St. Mary's College