ATEG Archives

December 2010

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 2010 19:08:08 -0500
     I would classify "last" as an ordinal numeral: first, second,
third...last. Different grammars differ in where they draw the lines
for the determiners, but ordinal numbers are often in that group
(sometimes called postdeterminers since they come after the core
determiners like "a," "the," "this," "his" and so on). It has an
identifying function. The one we are talking about (the one in
reference) is the last one.
   I don't think it has negative polarity, just the sense that in the
continuing list of "grill brushes" this is the final one. You can
negate it: this is not the last grill brush you will ever need."
   Maybe "ever" doesn't extend as much as never because "forever" is an
option (whereas "fornever" is not). "You will need the grill brush
forever."

Craig>