ATEG Archives

June 2010

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 2010 16:35:32 -0400
Herb,
    One problem, as I see it, is that those educators who are opposed to
teaching about language are NOT agnostic on this issue. They have a
view (maybe "theory" would imply that they have paid more attention)
that grammar is formal and that the study of formal grammar does not
carry over to writing. The point I am trying to make--I'm not trying
to open up the theory debate--is that those conclusions have never
taken into account the views about language being developed in the
functional camps. In other words, if grammar is not thought of as a
formal system, perhaps it can carry over to writing in a very dramatic
way.
   If you say "you don't need to teach grammar to a native speaker" at a
writing conference, many people will nod their heads, though they have
never seriously explored the issue. It is a politically correct
position and has been for some time.
   Can we at least agree that the case isn't closed? If our understanding
of grammar shifts, then the value of learning about it (not just
acquiring it) might shift as well?

Craig

Bob and Craig,