ATEG Archives

February 2011

From:
Scott Catledge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2011 09:46:17 -0500
If an instructor is going to introduce Chomsky to students, fairness demands
that The Anti-Chomsky Reader, edited by Peter Collier and David Horowitz, be
likewise introduced.  One cannot easily evaluate propaganda without hearing
from the other side.
Scott Catledge

Date:    Thu, 24 Feb 2011 09:44:41 -0500
From:    Dick Veit <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: sources re conversational behavior

--0016e6da2eb6eba583049d0840d5

I received the following request from a high school teacher. Can anyone
supply information she and her class would find useful?

Hello, Professor Veit.

I am teaching a unit on behavior in an IB Biology course. My students want
to analyze and categorize topics of human conversation. Such as: discussion
of subjective or objective ideas, discussion of others, relating stories to
one's own experiences, etc.

We are having difficulty finding literature sources. I am wondering if you
know of any literature sources on this topic.

Thanks for your time and consideration. Any help you could give would be
greatly appreciated.

Stacey Skinner, Biology Teacher
St. Paul Central High School

Dick

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:

--0016e6da2eb6eba583049d0840d5

I received the following request from a high school teacher. Can anyone
supply information she and her class would find useful?<br><br><div
style="margin-left: 40px;"><font face="Default Sans
Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="2">Hello,
Professor Veit.
Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="2">
Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="2"><div>I am teaching a unit
on behavior in an IB Biology course. My students want
to analyze and categorize topics of human conversation. Such as: discussion
of
subjective or objective ideas, discussion of others, relating stories to
one&#39;s
Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="2">
Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="2">
Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="2"><div>We are having
difficulty finding literature sources. I am wondering if you
face="Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="2">
Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="2">
Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="2"><div>Thanks for your time
and consideration. Any help you could give would be
Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="2">
Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="2">
Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="2"><div>Stacey Skinner,
Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="2">
Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="2"><div>St. Paul Central
High School<br><a
href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</a><br>

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 24 Feb 2011 09:24:10 -0600
From:    John Dews-Alexander <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: sources re conversational behavior

--00032555afb64f9a29049d08cf9b

My first impression is that they are doing discourse analysis of a sort.
Perhaps they would benefit from a referral to the literature on speech acts?
Or perhaps a general reference to the work of discourse analysts like
Deborah Tannen would be helpful?

I'll consider this more. I think providing direct help to school teachers is
something this group should take as an important component of its mission!

John Alexander

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 8:44 AM, Dick Veit <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I received the following request from a high school teacher. Can anyone
> supply information she and her class would find useful?
>
> Hello, Professor Veit.
>
> I am teaching a unit on behavior in an IB Biology course. My students want
> to analyze and categorize topics of human conversation. Such as:
discussion
> of subjective or objective ideas, discussion of others, relating stories
> one's own experiences, etc.
>
> We are having difficulty finding literature sources. I am wondering if you
> know of any literature sources on this topic.
>
> Thanks for your time and consideration. Any help you could give would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Stacey Skinner, Biology Teacher
> St. Paul Central High School
>
> Dick
> at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or
> leave the list"

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:

--00032555afb64f9a29049d08cf9b

My first impression is that they are doing discourse analysis of a sort. Pe=
rhaps they would benefit from a referral to the literature on speech acts? =
Or perhaps a general reference to the work of discourse analysts like Debor=
ah Tannen would be helpful?<br>

achers is something this group should take as an important component of its=
eb 24, 2011 at 8:44 AM, Dick Veit <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:d=

r-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">I received the fo=
llowing request from a high school teacher. Can anyone supply information s=
he and her class would find useful?<br>

ana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size=3D"2">Hello,=20
Professor Veit.=20
ans-serif" size=3D"2">
erdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size=3D"2"><div>I am teaching a unit on =
behavior in an IB Biology course. My students want=20
to analyze and categorize topics of human conversation. Such as: discussion=
 of=20
subjective or objective ideas, discussion of others, relating stories to on=
e&#39;s=20
rdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size=3D"2">
rif" size=3D"2">
erdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size=3D"2"><div>We are having difficulty=
 finding literature sources. I am wondering if you=20
=3D"Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size=3D"2">
rif" size=3D"2">
erdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size=3D"2"><div>Thanks for your time and=
 consideration. Any help you could give would be=20
dana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size=3D"2">
rif" size=3D"2">
erdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size=3D"2"><div>Stacey Skinner, Biology =
lvetica,sans-serif" size=3D"2">
erdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size=3D"2"><div>St. Paul Central High Sc=
hool<br><a href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]" target=3D"_blank">STACEY=
[log in to unmask]</a><br>

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list&#39;s web interf=
ace at:
lank">http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html</a>
and select &quot;Join or leave the list&quot;
Visit ATEG&#39;s web site at <a href=3D"http://ateg.org/" target=3D"_blank"=

Date:    Thu, 24 Feb 2011 10:56:09 -0500
From:    Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>

    I have used Tannen in composition classes and students find her
"relevant" and accessible. If you google her, you can find short
articles on male/female uses of language and criticisms of our
"argument culture." I would also suggest Lakoff and Johnson, certainly
"Metaphors We Live By" as ways to talk about the relationship between
the way we use language and how we conceive the world and how that
affects our social interaction. In terms of how we see argument, this
overlaps with Tannen.
   I don't think you can go wrong with Grice's maxims, probably available
from a number of sources.
   They may find it interesting that many linguists see language as "a
complex adaptive system", using metaphors out of biology. Much of that
is happening at the scholarly level. Geoff Thompson has an
"Introduction to Functional Grammar" that is intended to be accessible,
as is David Lee's book on cognitive Linguistics. It seems to me that
prototype theory links cognition to language. I'm not sure what to
suggest for reading. Is it covered in contemporary psychology texts?
    I'm not sure if any of that is what they are looking for.

Craig>

Date:    Thu, 24 Feb 2011 10:57:54 -0600
From:    John Dews-Alexander <[log in to unmask]>

--0016e6dd890784a216049d0a1efa

It strikes me also that studying language behaviors is a great opportunity
to examine how language is seen both as a learned behavior as well as an
innate ability (and a myriad of views in-between). The debate between
Skinner and Chomsky is a good place to start. For a biology teacher, this
may be great material to examine the fine line between biology and
cognition.

John

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> leave the list"
> >>
> >> Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/
> >>

> > To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web
> interface
> > at:
> >      http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html
> > and select "Join or leave the list"
> >
> > Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/

> at:
> and select "Join or leave the list"

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:

--0016e6dd890784a216049d0a1efa

It strikes me also that studying language behaviors is a great opportunity =
to examine how language is seen both as a learned behavior as well as an in=
nate ability (and a myriad of views in-between). The debate between Skinner=
 and Chomsky is a good place to start. For a biology teacher, this may be g=
reat material to examine the fine line between biology and cognition.<br>

 Craig Hancock <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">=
e" style=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204,=
 204); padding-left: 1ex;">

 =A0 =A0I have used Tannen in composition classes and students find her<br>
&quot;relevant&quot; and accessible. If you google her, you can find short<=
br>
articles on male/female uses of language and criticisms of our<br>
&quot;argument culture.&quot; I would also suggest Lakoff and Johnson, cert=
ainly<br>
&quot;Metaphors We Live By&quot; as ways to talk about the relationship bet=
ween<br>
the way we use language and how we conceive the world and how that<br>
affects our social interaction. In terms of how we see argument, this<br>
overlaps with Tannen.<br>
 =A0 I don&#39;t think you can go wrong with Grice&#39;s maxims, probably a=
vailable<br>
from a number of sources.<br>
 =A0 They may find it interesting that many linguists see language as &quot=
;a<br>
complex adaptive system&quot;, using metaphors out of biology. Much of that=
is happening at the scholarly level. Geoff Thompson has an<br>
&quot;Introduction to Functional Grammar&quot; that is intended to be acces=
sible,<br>
as is David Lee&#39;s book on cognitive Linguistics. It seems to me that<br=

prototype theory links cognition to language. I&#39;m not sure what to<br>
suggest for reading. Is it covered in contemporary psychology texts?<br>
 =A0 =A0I&#39;m not sure if any of that is what they are looking for.<br>
Craig&gt;<br>
My first impression is that they are doing discourse analysis of a sort.<br=

&gt; Perhaps they would benefit from a referral to the literature on speech=
&gt; acts?<br>
&gt; Or perhaps a general reference to the work of discourse analysts like<=
br>
&gt; Deborah Tannen would be helpful?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I&#39;ll consider this more. I think providing direct help to school t=
eachers<br>
&gt; is<br>
&gt; something this group should take as an important component of its miss=
ion!<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; John Alexander<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 8:44 AM, Dick Veit &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dickv=
[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; I received the following request from a high school teacher. Can a=
nyone<br>
&gt;&gt; supply information she and her class would find useful?<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Hello, Professor Veit.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; I am teaching a unit on behavior in an IB Biology course. My stude=
nts<br>
&gt;&gt; want<br>
&gt;&gt; to analyze and categorize topics of human conversation. Such as:<b=
r>
&gt;&gt; discussion<br>
&gt;&gt; of subjective or objective ideas, discussion of others, relating s=
tories<br>
&gt;&gt; to<br>
&gt;&gt; one&#39;s own experiences, etc.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; We are having difficulty finding literature sources. I am wonderin=
g if<br>
&gt;&gt; you<br>
&gt;&gt; know of any literature sources on this topic.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Thanks for your time and consideration. Any help you could give wo=
uld be<br>
&gt;&gt; greatly appreciated.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Stacey Skinner, Biology Teacher<br>
&gt;&gt; St. Paul Central High School<br>
&gt;&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
</a><br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Dick<br>
&gt;&gt; To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list&#39;s w=
eb<br>
&gt;&gt; interface<br>
&gt;&gt; at: <a href=3D"http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html" targ=
et=3D"_blank">http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html</a> and select =
&quot;Join or<br>
&gt;&gt; leave the list&quot;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Visit ATEG&#39;s web site at <a href=3D"http://ateg.org/" target=
=3D"_blank">http://ateg.org/</a><br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list&#39;s web i=
nterface<br>
&gt; at:<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0<a href=3D"http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html" t=
arget=3D"_blank">http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html</a><br>
&gt; and select &quot;Join or leave the list&quot;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Visit ATEG&#39;s web site at <a href=3D"http://ateg.org/" target=3D"_b=
lank">http://ateg.org/</a><br>
&gt;<br>
To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list&#39;s web interf=
ace at:<br>

Date:    Thu, 24 Feb 2011 15:31:43 -0500
From:    Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>

John,
    I think Skinner and Chomsky may be an OK place to start, but it
wouldn't be a good way to frame the debate. I don't think any of the
people developing positions contrary to Chomsky would think of
themselves as behaviorist. No one defends Skinner. It's not a
conditioning process or thought of in that way. But I agree with your
last point. Language has a biological component, and there are
competing ways to model that.

Craig

Date:    Thu, 24 Feb 2011 14:40:01 -0600
From:    John Dews-Alexander <[log in to unmask]>

--00032555bd86dfb1f9049d0d38de

Point well taken, Craig. Perhaps more general references to the
nurture/nature debate would be more appropriate. I'm not a biology teacher,
but I imagine nurture/nature would be a key point to explore when looking at
a phenomenon like language. Even if the task is to classify conversations,
the framework for that might include related ideas like how those types of
conversation are learned and/if some types are more "innate" than others
(such as a parent-child verbal interaction).

I'm a bit out of my league here. I think my mind is wandering in this
direction because I'm reading *Patterns in the Mind* by Ray Jackendoff.

John

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> interface

> >> To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web
> >> interface
> >> at:
> >>     http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html
> >> and select "Join or leave the list"
> >>
> >> Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/
> >>

> > To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web
> interface
> > at:
> >      http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html
> > and select "Join or leave the list"
> >
> > Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/

> at:
> and select "Join or leave the list"

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:

--00032555bd86dfb1f9049d0d38de

Point well taken, Craig. Perhaps more general references to the nurture/nat=
ure debate would be more appropriate. I&#39;m not a biology teacher, but I =
imagine nurture/nature would be a key point to explore when looking at a ph=
enomenon like language. Even if the task is to classify conversations, the =
framework for that might include related ideas like how those types of conv=
ersation are learned and/if some types are more &quot;innate&quot; than oth=
ers (such as a parent-child verbal interaction). <br>

is direction because I&#39;m reading <i>Patterns in the Mind</i> by Ray Jac=
1 at 2:31 PM, Craig Hancock <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:hancock=

r-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">John,<br>
 =A0 =A0I think Skinner and Chomsky may be an OK place to start, but it<br>
wouldn&#39;t be a good way to frame the debate. I don&#39;t think any of th=
e<br>
people developing positions contrary to Chomsky would think of<br>
themselves as behaviorist. No one defends Skinner. It&#39;s not a<br>
conditioning process or thought of in that way. But I agree with your<br>
last point. Language has a biological component, and there are<br>
competing ways to model that.<br>
Craig<br>
It strikes me also that studying language behaviors is a great opportunity<=
br>
&gt; to examine how language is seen both as a learned behavior as well as =
an<br>
&gt; innate ability (and a myriad of views in-between). The debate between<=
br>
&gt; Skinner and Chomsky is a good place to start. For a biology teacher, t=
his<br>
&gt; may be great material to examine the fine line between biology and<br>
&gt; cognition.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; John<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Craig Hancock &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:h=
[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; =A0 =A0I have used Tannen in composition classes and students find=
 her<br>
&gt;&gt; &quot;relevant&quot; and accessible. If you google her, you can fi=
nd short<br>
&gt;&gt; articles on male/female uses of language and criticisms of our<br>
&gt;&gt; &quot;argument culture.&quot; I would also suggest Lakoff and John=
son, certainly<br>
&gt;&gt; &quot;Metaphors We Live By&quot; as ways to talk about the relatio=
nship between<br>
&gt;&gt; the way we use language and how we conceive the world and how that=
&gt;&gt; affects our social interaction. In terms of how we see argument, t=
his<br>
&gt;&gt; overlaps with Tannen.<br>
&gt;&gt; =A0 I don&#39;t think you can go wrong with Grice&#39;s maxims, pr=
obably available<br>
&gt;&gt; from a number of sources.<br>
&gt;&gt; =A0 They may find it interesting that many linguists see language =
as &quot;a<br>
&gt;&gt; complex adaptive system&quot;, using metaphors out of biology. Muc=
h of that<br>
&gt;&gt; is happening at the scholarly level. Geoff Thompson has an<br>
&gt;&gt; &quot;Introduction to Functional Grammar&quot; that is intended to=
 be accessible,<br>
&gt;&gt; as is David Lee&#39;s book on cognitive Linguistics. It seems to m=
e that<br>
&gt;&gt; prototype theory links cognition to language. I&#39;m not sure wha=
t to<br>
&gt;&gt; suggest for reading. Is it covered in contemporary psychology text=
s?<br>
&gt;&gt; =A0 =A0I&#39;m not sure if any of that is what they are looking fo=
r.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Craig&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; My first impression is that they are doing discourse analysis of a=
 sort.<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; Perhaps they would benefit from a referral to the literature =
on speech<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; acts?<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; Or perhaps a general reference to the work of discourse analy=
sts like<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; Deborah Tannen would be helpful?<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; I&#39;ll consider this more. I think providing direct help to=
 school<br>
&gt;&gt; teachers<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; is<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; something this group should take as an important component of=
 its<br>
&gt;&gt; mission!<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; John Alexander<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 8:44 AM, Dick Veit &lt;<a href=3D"mai=
lto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; I received the following request from a high school teach=
er. Can<br>
&gt;&gt; anyone<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; supply information she and her class would find useful?<b=
r>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; Hello, Professor Veit.<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; I am teaching a unit on behavior in an IB Biology course.=
 My students<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; want<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; to analyze and categorize topics of human conversation. S=
uch as:<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; discussion<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; of subjective or objective ideas, discussion of others, r=
elating<br>
&gt;&gt; stories<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; to<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; one&#39;s own experiences, etc.<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; We are having difficulty finding literature sources. I am=
 wondering<br>
&gt;&gt; if<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; you<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; know of any literature sources on this topic.<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; Thanks for your time and consideration. Any help you coul=
d give would<br>
&gt;&gt; be<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; greatly appreciated.<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; Stacey Skinner, Biology Teacher<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; St. Paul Central High School<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">STACEY.SKINNER=
@spps.org</a><br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; Dick<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the lis=
t&#39;s web<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; interface<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; at: <a href=3D"http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.h=
tml" target=3D"_blank">http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html</a> an=
d select &quot;Join or<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; leave the list&quot;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; Visit ATEG&#39;s web site at <a href=3D"http://ateg.org/"=
 target=3D"_blank">http://ateg.org/</a><br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list&#3=
9;s web<br>
&gt;&gt; interface<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; at:<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; =A0 =A0 =A0<a href=3D"http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ate=
g.html" target=3D"_blank">http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html</a>=
&gt;&gt; &gt; and select &quot;Join or leave the list&quot;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; Visit ATEG&#39;s web site at <a href=3D"http://ateg.org/" tar=
get=3D"_blank">http://ateg.org/</a><br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list&#39;s w=
eb<br>
&gt;&gt; interface<br>
&gt;&gt; at:<br>
&gt;&gt; =A0 =A0 <a href=3D"http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html" =

Date:    Thu, 24 Feb 2011 21:37:31 +0000
From:    John Chorazy <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: conversational behavior

--Boundary_(ID_JnXrVIwmkV+6ckR3JcjmMw)

This thread calls to mind for me the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, linguistic
determinism, and some very interesting conversations upon my students'
reading of Orwell's 1984... and can we truly determine what's framed and
learned as opposed to innate? Fun...

John

> [...]
> literature on speech
> analysts like

> school> >> teachers
> component of its

> teacher. Can

> course. My students
> Such as:
> relating> >> stories

> am wondering

> could give would

> list's web
> select "Join
> > or

> list's web

> list's web

> > > To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web
> > interface
> > > at:
> > > http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html
> > > and select "Join or leave the list"
> > >
> > > Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/
> > >

> > To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's

John Chorazy
English III Academy, Honors, and Academic.
Adviser, Panther Press School Newspaper.

Pequannock Township High School
Pompton Plains,NJ
973.616.6000

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:

--Boundary_(ID_JnXrVIwmkV+6ckR3JcjmMw)

=3CDIV=3EThis thread calls to mind for me the Sapir-Whorf=26nbsp=3Bhypot=
hesis=2C linguistic determinism=2C=26nbsp=3Band some very interesting co=
nversations upon my students=27 reading of Orwell=27s=26nbsp=3B=3CEM=3E1=
984=3C/EM=3E=2E=2E=2E and can we truly determine what=27s framed and lea=
rned as opposed to innate=3F Fun=2E=2E=2E=3C/DIV=3E
=3CDIV=3E=26nbsp=3B=3C/DIV=3E
=3CDIV=3E=26nbsp=3B=3C/DIV=3E
=3CDIV=3EJohn=3C/DIV=3E
=3CDIV=3E=26nbsp=3B=3C/DIV=3E
=3CDIV=3E=26nbsp=3B=3C/DIV=3E
=3CDIV=3E=26nbsp=3B=3C/DIV=3E
=3CDIV=3E=3CBR=3E=3CBR=3E----- Original Message -----=3CBR=3EFrom=3A Joh=
n Dews-Alexander =3CJED=2EALEXANDER=40GMAIL=2ECOM=3E=3CBR=3EDate=3A Thur=
sday=2C February 24=2C 2011 3=3A30 pm=3CBR=3ESubject=3A Re=3A sources re=
 conversational behavior=3CBR=3ETo=3A ATEG=40LISTSERV=2EMUOHIO=2EEDU=3CB=
R=3E=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B Point well taken=2C Craig=2E Perhaps more general r=
eferences to the=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B nurture/nature debate would be more app=
ropriate=2E I=27m not a =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B biology teacher=2C=3CBR=3E=26gt=
=3B but I imagine nurture/nature would be a key point to explore =3CBR=3E=
=26gt=3B when looking at=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B a phenomenon like language=2E E=
ven if the task is to classify =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B conversations=2Cthe fram=
ework for that might include related ideas =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B like how tho=
se types of=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B conversation are learned and/if some types a=
re more =22innate=22 =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B than others=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B (such =
as a parent-child verbal interaction)=2E=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B=
 I=27m a bit out of my league here=2E I think my mind is wandering in th=
is=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B direction because I=27m reading *Patterns in the Mind=
* by Ray =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B Jackendoff=2E=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B John=3CBR=3E=26g=
t=3B =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B On Thu=2C Feb 24=2C 2011 at 2=3A31 PM=2C Craig Han=
cock =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =3CHANCOCK=40ALBANY=2EEDU=3Ewrote=3A=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B=
 =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B John=2C=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B I think Skin=
ner and Chomsky may be an OK place to start=2C =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B but it=3C=
BR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B wouldn=27t be a good way to frame the debate=2E I=
 don=27t think any =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B of the=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B peop=
le developing positions contrary to Chomsky would think of=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B=
 =26gt=3B themselves as behaviorist=2E No one defends Skinner=2E It=27s =
not a=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B conditioning process or thought of in tha=
t way=2E But I agree =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B with your=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=
 last point=2E Language has a biological component=2C and there are=3CBR=
=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B competing ways to model that=2E=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26=
gt=3B=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B Craig=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=3CBR=3E=26=
gt=3B =26gt=3B It strikes me also that studying language behaviors is a =
great =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B opportunity=26gt=3B =26gt=3B to examine how langu=
age is seen both as a learned =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B behavior as well as an=3C=
BR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B innate ability (and a myriad of views in=
-between)=2E The =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B debate between=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=
 =26gt=3B Skinner and Chomsky is a good place to start=2E For a biology =
=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B teacher=2C this=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B may b=
e great material to examine the fine line between =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B biolo=
gy and=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B cognition=2E=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26=
gt=3B =26gt=3B=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B John=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26=
gt=3B =26gt=3B=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B On Thu=2C Feb 24=2C 201=
1 at 9=3A56 AM=2C Craig Hancock =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =3CHANCOCK=40ALBANY=2EE=
DU=3E=26gt=3B wrote=3A=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B=
 =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B I have used Tannen in composition classes and=
 students =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B find her=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26=
gt=3B =22relevant=22 and accessible=2E If you google her=2C you can find=
 short=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B articles on male/female=
 uses of language and criticisms of our=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=
=26gt=3B =22argument culture=2E=22 I would also suggest Lakoff and =3CBR=
=3E=26gt=3B Johnson=2C certainly=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B=
 =22Metaphors We Live By=22 as ways to talk about the =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B r=
elationship between=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B the way we=
 use language and how we conceive the world and =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B how tha=
t=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B affects our social interacti=
on=2E In terms of how we see =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B argument=2C this=3CBR=3E=26=
gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B overlaps with Tannen=2E=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =
=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B I don=27t think you can go wrong with Grice=27=
s maxims=2C =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B probably available=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=
 =26gt=3B=26gt=3B from a number of sources=2E=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26=
gt=3B=26gt=3B They may find it interesting that many linguists see =3CBR=
=3E=26gt=3B language as =22a=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B c=
omplex adaptive system=22=2C using metaphors out of biology=2E =3CBR=3E=26=
gt=3B Much of that=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B is happenin=
g at the scholarly level=2E Geoff Thompson has an=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=
 =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =22Introduction to Functional Grammar=22 that is inten=
ded to be =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B accessible=2C=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B as is =
David Lee=27s book on cognitive Linguistics=2E =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B It seems=
 to me that=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B prototype theory l=
inks cognition to language=2E I=27m not sure =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B what to=3C=
BR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B suggest for reading=2E Is it cov=
ered in contemporary =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B psychology texts=3F=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B=
 =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B I=27m not sure if any of that is what they ar=
e looking for=2E=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B=
 =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B Craig=26gt=3B=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=
=26gt=3B=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=
=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B My first impression is that they are doing discours=
e =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B analysis of a sort=2E=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=
=26gt=3B =26gt=3B Perhaps they would benefit from a referral to the =3CB=
R=3E=26gt=3B literature on speech=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=
=3B =26gt=3B acts=3F=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =
Or perhaps a general reference to the work of discourse =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B=
 analysts like=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B Debora=
h Tannen would be helpful=3F=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26=
gt=3B=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B I=27ll consider=
 this more=2E I think providing direct help to =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B school=26=
gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B teachers=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B=
 =26gt=3B is=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B somethin=
g this group should take as an important =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B component of i=
ts=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B mission!=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26=
gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B=
 =26gt=3B John Alexander=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=
=3B=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B On Thu=2C Feb 24=2C=
 2011 at 8=3A44 AM=2C Dick Veit =3CDICKVEIT=40GMAIL=2ECOM=3E=3CBR=3E=26g=
t=3B =26gt=3B wrote=3A=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=
=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B I received t=
he following request from a high school =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B teacher=2E Can=3C=
BR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B anyone=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =
=26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B supply information she and her class w=
ould find useful=3F=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26=
gt=3B=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B Hello=2C=
 Professor Veit=2E=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26=
gt=3B=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B I am te=
aching a unit on behavior in an IB Biology =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B course=2E My=
 students=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B wan=
t=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B to analyze =
and categorize topics of human conversation=2E =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B Such as=3A=
=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B discussion=3C=
BR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B of subjective o=
r objective ideas=2C discussion of others=2C =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B relating=26=
gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B stories=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B=
 =26gt=3B=26gt=3B to=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26=
gt=3B one=27s own experiences=2C etc=2E=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=
=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26g=
t=3B=26gt=3B We are having difficulty finding literature sources=2E I =3C=
BR=3E=26gt=3B am wondering=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B if=3C=
BR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B you=3CBR=3E=26g=
t=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B know of any literature s=
ources on this topic=2E=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=
=26gt=3B=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B Than=
ks for your time and consideration=2E Any help you =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B coul=
d give would=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B be=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B=
 =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B greatly appreciated=2E=3CBR=3E=
=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26g=
t=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B Stacey Skinner=2C Biology Teacher=
=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B St=2E Paul C=
entral High School=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26=
gt=3B STACEY=2ESKINNER=40spps=2Eorg=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26=
gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=
=26gt=3B Dick=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B=
 To join or leave this LISTSERV list=2C please visit the =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B=
 list=27s web=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B=
 interface=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B at=
=3A http=3A//listserv=2Emuohio=2Eedu/archives/ateg=2Ehtml and =3CBR=3E=26=
gt=3B select =22Join=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B or=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=
 =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B leave the list=22=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26=
gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=
=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B Visit ATEG=27s web site at http=3A//ateg=2Eorg=
/=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B=3CBR=3E=26g=
t=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=
=26gt=3B =26gt=3B To join or leave this LISTSERV list=2C please visit th=
e =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B list=27s web=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B=
 interface=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B at=3A=3CBR=
=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B http=3A//listserv=2Emuohi=
o=2Eedu/archives/ateg=2Ehtml=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26=
gt=3B and select =22Join or leave the list=22=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26=
gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=
 Visit ATEG=27s web site at http=3A//ateg=2Eorg/=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=
 =26gt=3B=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B=3CB=
R=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B To join or leave this LISTSERV li=
st=2C please visit the =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B list=27s web=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26=
gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B interface=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B=
 at=3A=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B http=3A//listserv=2Emuo=
hio=2Eedu/archives/ateg=2Ehtml=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B=
 and select =22Join or leave the list=22=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=
=26gt=3B=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B Visit ATEG=27s web si=
te at http=3A//ateg=2Eorg/=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=26gt=3B=3CB=
R=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B To join=
 or leave this LISTSERV list=2C please visit the list=27s web=3CBR=3E=26=
gt=3B =26gt=3B interface=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B at=3A=3CBR=3E=
=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B http=3A//listserv=2Emuohio=2Eedu/archives/ate=
g=2Ehtml=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B and select =22Join or leave t=
he list=22=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26gt=3B=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B =26=
gt=3B Visit ATEG=27s web site at http=3A//ateg=2Eorg/=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26=
gt=3B =26gt=3B=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B To join=
 or leave this LISTSERV list=2C please visit the list=27s =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B=
 web interface=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B at=3A=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B h=
ttp=3A//listserv=2Emuohio=2Eedu/archives/ateg=2Ehtml=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26=
gt=3B and select =22Join or leave the list=22=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=3C=
BR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B Visit ATEG=27s web site at http=3A//ateg=2Eorg/=3C=
BR=3E=26gt=3B =26gt=3B=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B To join or leave=
 this LISTSERV list=2C please visit the list=27s web =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B in=
terface at=3A=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B http=3A//listserv=2Emuohio=2Eedu/archives/=
ateg=2Ehtml=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B and select =22Join or leave the list=22=3CBR=
=3E=26gt=3B =3CBR=3E=26gt=3B Visit ATEG=27s web site at http=3A//ateg=2E=
org/=3CBR=3E=26gt=3B =3C/DIV=3E=3CBR=3E=3CBR=3EJohn Chorazy
=3Cbr=3EEnglish III Academy=2C Honors=2C and Academic=2E
=3Cbr=3EAdviser=2C Panther Press School Newspaper=2E
=3Cbr=3E
=3Cbr=3E
=3Cbr=3EPequannock Township High School
=3Cbr=3EPompton Plains=2CNJ
=3Cbr=3E973=2E616=2E6000
=3Cbr=3E
=3Cbr=3E=3C/BR=3E=3C/BR=3E

Date:    Thu, 24 Feb 2011 19:44:51 -0500
From:    Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>

John,
    I am no doubt under the influence of my current reading as well. I'm
working my way through Talmy Givon's Syntax, where he says "the best
point of departure for functionalism is to be found in biology, the
mother-discipline that has been profoundly functionalist for over two
thousand years."
    A very apt analogy might be anatomy and physiology. No medical
researcher would look at anatomy without thinking of physiology, and
to fully understand physiology you need to examine anatomy in use. The
underlying assumption is that it is what it is because of what it
does. Use shapes form. The most important insights come from health,
not illness.
   From this view, we can't fully look at the forms of conversation
without thinking about purposes and intentions.

Craig

Date:    Thu, 24 Feb 2011 21:02:31 -0500
From:    "Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>

Nancy Bonvillain's _Language, Culture, and Communication_ (5th ed.) has =
good overview material on conversation
analysis, discourse analysis, pragmatics, and ethnography of =
communication -- all of which are relevant to this kind
of thing. It would make a good sourcebook for the teacher, although I =
think high-school students would find it
off-putting without a good bit of scaffolding. I may be underestimating =
highschoolers, though.

For a biology course, I think the ethnography of communication material =
would fit quite nicely with anything
on ethology they may have had -- keeping track of who "emits signals" at =
whom, where, and under what=20
conditions is the kind of thing that's relevant across domains.

--- Bill Spruiell

[...]

End of ATEG Digest - 22 Feb 2011 to 24 Feb 2011 (#2011-49)