ATEG Archives

May 2009

From:
"O'Sullivan, Brian P" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 May 2009 09:21:04 -0400
It seems like one of the differences of opinion here is what a teacher should do with students who "do not have a mature style," as Susan puts it. Should we give them "training wheels" (aka, "triage" them, give them "bandaids," etc.) to make their writing more presentable in the short term, or should we try to set them on a path towards developing a more mature style in the long run? These goals don't *necessarily* conflict, but do they "sometimes* conflict? And when do they do conflict, which should take priority? I say that they do sometimes conflict, and that when they do, long-term improvement should take priority.

I believe Susan when she says that her young and struggling writers hand in more readable prose when they follow her advice to "change up your sentence starters." But I also agree with Craig that having been trained this way may make it hard for college writers to think in terms of coherence and see the value of repetition. If, as I think, both Susan and Craig are right, then the student's short term gain (i.e., papers that their high school teachers found a little easier and head-thumpingly boring to read) may not have been worth their long-term loss (i.e, greater difficulty in ultimately attaining a mature style).

Easy for me to say. As a college teacher, I have smaller class sizes and fewer classes than Susan, and, by and large, I probably read fewer of those head-thumpingly boring papers. (Was that "good" repetition or "bad," by the way?)But college teachers, too, face tradeoffs between immediate improvement of a paper and long-term improvement of a writer. For example, I've had plenty of students--often but not always English Language Learners--who can write simple sentence clearly but get very tangled up when they start combining clauses. I'm sure none of us would encourage students like that to only write in simple sentences. We put up with reading convoluted sentences so that students can practice, and eventually improve at, coordination and subordination.

"Vary sentences starters," I rush to admit, is not nearly such bad advice as "only use simple sentences" would be! The similarity, in my mind, is that neither piece of advice acts as a scaffold to help eventually students reach "mature" levels of rhetorical awareness and control.

At least I'm probably getting Susan and John to agree; they're probably both thinking that I'm being too abstract and talking about what should be, not what is! So I'll say how I might respond to the student who wrote the "Landon says Jamie..." paragraph:

"[Student], when I read this, I feel like each thought is separate from the next, and there's nothing to show me how they connect, which is more important than the other, which depends on which. One of the ways that writers fix that kind of problem for their readers is by combining sentences. Before next class, can you try a few different ways of combining those seven sentences into three to five sentences, and tell me which way you like best and why? If you take another look at that "sentence combining" chapter we read, that will make this easier."

The results would be less predictible then if I just told the student to very sentence starters, but at least I'd be asking the student to realize that he or she has stylistic choices to make and to think about the effects of those choices on readers. And consistently asking students to do that can make a difference over the long one.

But Susan, I defer to you as an expert on pre-college writers, and I'm curious; how might the passage's author respond to this kind of advice?

Brian

Brian O'Sullivan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of English
Director of the Writing Center