ATEG Archives

December 2010

From:
Jean Waldman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 2010 19:33:56 -0500
Bruce,
Thank you for your thoughtful response and for pointing out my omission.  A proper noun certainly can be defined as the name of a person, place, or thing.  You say that the word name can be used to include classes of objects, or, if I understand what you are saying, objects that can be referred to by pronouns.  This is something I need to think more about. First of all, pronouns, despite the definition which I will not repeat, can replace noun phrases or determiner phrases, but not common nouns.  Therefore, thinking from the pronoun to the noun will yield an NP or DP,  or a proper noun, but not a bare common noun which is the subject of the overgeneralized definition: person, place, or thing.

I suppose it is not the error in the definition itself which bothers me, it is the parroting of it by people who are supposed to be educated, and the requirement that young children learn it because it is simple.  I think children learn best what they can believe in, and they could be practicing more productive analysis than The Noun Game as described in the Dennis Baron article.  It seems to me that instead of being encouraged to use their own knowledge to develop a useful description of language, they are being taught conformity and graded on it.

From: Jean Waldman <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date:         Sat, 11 Dec 2010 15:49:39 -0500

Dear fellow teachers,

Everybody knows, you say, that a noun is the name of a person, place, or thing.  Everybody has been told that many times.  Does that make it true?
These words we call common nouns-what do they name?  Chair, table, car, dog, tree.  What have I told you?  What have I referred to?  Which chair?  What did I name?
All right, now, what is a noun?  A noun refers to a class of things, places, or ideas with common characteristics.  That is why it is called a common noun.  Chairs are things to sit on.  Tables hold food or work.  Cars:
generally four-wheeled carriages with motors.
So if you want to talk about a particular chair, how do you do it?  You refer to the situation.  It can be that chair over there, or the chair that I am sitting in or the comfortable leather chair at Grandma's house.  Now I have named three chairs.  Did the noun supply the name?  What would happen if we changed the noun?  If we say "that dog over there" we look for something entirely different.  When we see it, we know which dog.  If there are three dogs over there, we need more information.  The noun only told us it was a member of the class we call "dog".
I like to include a true-false section on exams.  One of the statements is, "A noun is the name of a person, place, or thing."  If you say this is false, you get it right.
Jean Waldman