ATEG Archives

January 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 21:46:25 -0500
Kathryn and Craig,

What we seem to be talking about here is Formal Standard Written English, a register that college students are required to master and that high school students intending to go to college need to be well on the way towards mastering.  It is the great gate-keeper in American society.  My college students see this immediately when I ask them to think back to high school classmates who didn't succeed at English and where they were now.  We talk about this, and it's clear to all that there are notable exceptions to the rule, but that overwhelmingly success at FSWE is a prerequisite to other socio-economic success.

The problem with this is that FSWE is constructed in different ways by different people, be they teachers, editors, employers, school board members, or parents.  Not everyone's FSWE is the same but frequently each person believes firmly that his or her FSWE is correct and widely accepted.  We can't teach to all of the which/that, stranded preposition, passive voice, ... preferences, so we have to make sure our students know that these preferences exist and that they may have to be sensitive to them.

And, by the way, they aren't all old.  As we've discussed before, the ban on possessive antecedents, which it the news a few years ago, shows up for the first time in the 1940s and than spreads to nearly all the standard grammar books, even though even the writers who tout it violate it often in the same work.  Sentence-initially "hopefully" isn't much older.  These are more matters of fashion and of societal myth as matters of grammar.

Herb

Hey, Craig,

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I think I'll try pasting in some of
your points and replying to them individually--

Craig: " . . . the function of case has been
shifting toward the pragmatic.  Is that a weakening of the language,
something we should fight against?   . . . At any rate, we
might be taking arms against the sea if we oppose it."

Kathryn: I 100% agree with you about the folly of fighting language
change--both because it would be a lost cause and because often language
changes specifically to meet users' changing communicative needs. But as
long as many language users (especially cultural gatekeepers) still
value the "old" conventions and follow them, it's helpful to know what
those old conventions are, how to follow them, and when it is wise to do
so (or when the conventions will improve clarity, communication,
richness, etc.). That's not a matter of fighting change; it's a matter
of understanding/navigating it.

Craig: "I have a great deal of difficulty with the notion of "standard
English."  We tend to talk about it as if it were set in stone and was
actually existing somewhere to be studied and emulated."

Kathryn: I don't know anyone who is savvy about language who thinks that
standard English is static. One can study and emulate a set of
conventions without having to have them set in stone. After all, one can
study art or emulate the work of particular artists even as what our
culture regards as valuable art changes constantly.
	But again, I didn't raise the issue of "standard English" as a
call to pedantic arms (a call to red pens?) but to wonder whether
employing a standard or working to improve student writing doesn't
necessarily *mean* to some degree being a prescriptivist and/or a
proponent of standard English. It doesn't mean that you employ every
prescription of Fowler's or that you fall into lockstep with the,
whatever, 2-5% of conventions of standard English that strike you as
arbitrary and undemocratic. But any time we accept that writing can be
improved or that some usages are "better" (clearer, more
"natural"-sounding, whatever) than others, we venture out of the bounds
of pure descriptivism, no?

Craig: "But that's a far cry from saying that a dialect is inherently
incorrect."

Kathryn: I agree that it doesn't make sense to talk about dialects or
registers being "inherently" correct (or "inherently" aesthetically
pleasing or appropriate). Language use is clearly contextual.

"I suspect we get to the same place from opposite directions, but I
also think the direction you come from has enormous repercussions.
Craig"

Likewise.
Best to you,
Kathryn