ATEG Archives

September 2007

From:
"Paul T. Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:28:13 -0400
Hi Ron,

I've written a considerably longer analysis of your participation in the
ATEG list, and may yet send it. However, I have a couple of brief
comments for now.

You come across as a rule setter, score keeper, and grudge holder.

re. posts where it is perfectly clear to me and most other readers
(otherwise they'd be joining your chorus of one) what the writer is
intending to say, you take an overly precious, scholastic reading of
individual words and phrases, and then assert, claiming the authority of
the rule setter and official group editor, that the writer is not really
making sense.

When someone replies to you, your tactic in response is to dig deeper
into what they've said, sentence by sentence, and criticize them in more
detail; this is score keeping and grudge holding, an "I have to be right
whatever the human cost," posture. It's gone from quaint and eccentric
to not even moderately interesting or productive. Herb is perfectly
accurate, as well as genteel, when he says that people will begin to
ignore your posts.

I'd like to suggest, in a friendly way, that when you have personal
experience related to issues (for the research base that you refer to
is, to be kind about it, thin at best), write about them in continuous
prose and point out why they're relevant. But leave off with the point
by point analysis and response.

All the best,

Paul

P.S. In the tradition of list serves and online groups, all caps is
definitely interpreted as shouting.