ATEG Archives

September 2007

From:
Nancy Tuten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2007 08:41:14 -0400
One of the most frustrating issues for me in teaching mechanics and usage
(and I see these as quite different from teaching grammar, syntax) is that
style books don't agree.

In general, though, the Associated Press Style Manual, which is the bible
for most in journalism, differs from the majority of other very reputable
style books (Chicago, MLA, APA) on several key issues-- the use of the
additional "s" after the apostrophe with singular possessive nouns ending in
"s," the omission of the serial comma, and the use of quotation marks around
titles of stand-alone works (movies, books, plays), just to name three.

I am not familiar with the NYT style manual, but I imagine it would be
similar to the AP style guide since it is published by a newspaper.

At the college where I am the writing-across-the-curriculum director, I
encourage faculty across the disciplines to be sure the students in their
majors understand which style will be expected of them once they become
professionals. But even before they get into their majors, it seems
important to teach students in high school and in first-year college
composition classes that different style books exist, that they don't all
agree, and that it is their responsibility to find out which style a
particular assignment is supposed to reflect.

Faculty at all levels need to reinforce this thinking by requiring students
to adhere to a particular style manual for writing in their classes. The
"just be consistent" requirement doesn't serve students well either in
college or after. Neither is it helpful to let students believe that one
style book is universally accepted. Many faculty members themselves do not
adhere to a single style guide but simply assume that the "way they learned"
a particular usage "rule" is the only "right" way. Their students then adopt
the same attitude.

That was a rambling answer to your question, but I guess the bottom line is
that if I were to use a single style book to teach mechanics and usage, it
wouldn't be one in journalism because the rules there seem often to fly in
the face of the wisdom espoused by other prominent style guides.  I wish I
understood why

This is a topic of much interest to me, so if anyone responds off list,
please include me. Thanks!

Nancy

Nancy L. Tuten, PhD
Professor of English
Director of the Writing-across-the-Curriculum Program
Columbia College
Columbia, South Carolina
803-786-3706