ATEG Archives

April 2009

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Apr 2009 08:20:20 -0400
Scott,
   It has been called "meta-discourse", discourse about the text as a
text. It orients the reader to the text itself (rather than the
subject.) My problem with "first of all" is that it tends to be used
mechanically.
   I had a handful of students coming out of the same English as a Second
language program in a New York city high school who used the term
"firstable". I thought that was conceptually interesting. Not
everything is able to be first.
   Does being first mean most important? Is it background necessary before
understanding the rest? A preliminary orientation? An arbitrary
starting point? I usually find it productive to ask those questions.

Craig

 List,