ATEG Archives

March 2006

From:
Jan Kammert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:10:59 -0800
I teach 8th grade in Washington state.  We have just started reading the
book Tom Sawyer as we do every year.  Also every year more than one
student complains that the dialect in Tom Sawyer is too difficult for
them.

When we have a conversation about dialect, I tell them that everyone has a
dialect.  I know that I have never convinced most of my students that even
they have a dialect.

Suggestions?
Jan