ATEG Archives

March 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:38:12 -0500
Linda,
   There's a long-standing tradition in traditional grammar that partiple
phrases(clauses)>modify their implied subjects.  (Hence the notion of
the dangling participle.)  "Jumping over the curb, he twisted his
ankle."  In postnominal slots, especially when restrictive, that seems
much more intuitive. (Anyone jumping over the curb risks twisting an
ankle.)
  I hesitate to complicate things further, but if this is indeed an
existential clause (I love Johanna's tag question test, which seems the
final evidence to me) the sentence doesn't really have a complement. The
source sentence (If you want to grant that kind of move) would be "There
is a patch of white hair running from the back of his skull ..."  In
this form, there is a dummy subject and everything else (except the
verb) is part of the displaced subject.  If we "front" the running...
structure, we are technically fronting part of the subject.
   Copular sentences link the subject with a copular complement.  An
existential sentence does not link anything.  It just presents the
existence of something.  It's all subject plus existential verb.
    "There are squirrels in the attic."  Literally, if the language would
let us do that, we could have "Squirrels in the attic are."  English
seems to resist be verbs as the lone element in a predicate, so we get
these mixed messages, displaced subject elements thsat seem like
predicate elements.  "In the attic are squirrels" seems like a fronted
predicate, but may very well be better understood as partial
displacement of the subject. It sure does feel adverbial at first
glance, and I wouldn't quarrel with you if you wanted to hold onto
that view.
    I hope that does more good than harm.  That's my current understanding
of it.

Craig

Hello. I think I must have missed the explanation about the complement