ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
Robert Yates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2009 16:06:57 -0600
What does the following mean?

>>> Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]> 2/3/2009 1:38 PM >>>
   Are we to assume that children in an inner city neighborhood will
develop language in the same way as the suburban kids, even though it's
quite apparent that the cultural context and the languages themselves
might differ remarkably? If we believe there's a "natural order", a
"universal order", we may end up with deficit models that are
misleading.

****
What  is the cultural context and the language that might make them differ in remarkable ways?

I have no idea what cultural context would result in a kind of English that would be remarkably different.

Could someone provide examples?

Bob Yates, University of Central Missouri