ATEG Archives

April 2001

From:
Robert Einarsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:02:12 -0600
Hi Rex,

For discipline, I think that it is most important for the instructor to
be prepared with a lot of really good information to give the class.

This creates a serious, businesslike atmosphere in the class.
Students know that you are giving them a lot of information, and
that it will be on the exam.

Bad discipline starts when students try to test or trick the
instructor, to embarrass him or her about not knowing the
information.  So, you come prepared.

Also, try to IGNORE the challenges and the tricks that they play to
embarrass you.  Concentrate only on getting across the
information.  Just make sure that all those who DO want to learn
have access to your information, and let the others sink or swim as
they wish.

This is the product of many gruelling days in the classroom.  I hope
it is useful!
Sincerely, Robert Einarsson
please visit me at
www.artsci.gmcc.ab.ca/people/einarssonb