ATEG Archives

October 2005

From:
Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:54:12 -0700
Using the criterion of truth/falsity for natural language is not
useful, especially not for judging sentencehood. Formal logic is a
special system devised for purposes other than describing natural
language, and, in terms of expression of meaning, is impoverished by
comparison with natural language, as (I think) Herb pointed out. The
sentence "The moon is made of green cheese" is false, but it is still a
sentence, by the criterion of being an independent clause.

I don't see how the sentence "He lives in a green house" does not
assert that the house is green. It certainly does not suppose that the
house is green; a supposition is something the speaker is not sure of
(if this is not the logical definition, sorry; but if logic asserts
that the speaker of this sentence is not declaring the house to be
green, then it's wrong).

Sure a noun phrase is an argument of another predicate -- in this case,
"a green house" is an argument of "lives". But natural language does
not forbid inserting predicative/attributive information into the
argument of a predicate. This is clearest when a clause is a verbal
argument, such as subject or direct object.

What counts as a sentence certainly varies from language to language.
But, of course, the task teachers of English face is helping students
distinguish sentences from non-sentences according to the prescriptive
norms of formal writing. The tests I gave in my last post are very
helpful for doing this. I even once had a student who was very angry
that no one had taught him such "tricks" in the past, while holding him
responsible for "complete sentences".

For this practical purpose, I believe it is best to establish a firm
definition of what counts as a sentence (and I am suggesting my
criteria and terminology, of course).

Compliments to Craig on the excellent six statements he uses to start
his students on grammar in writing classes. I hope he will not mind if
I use them, with credit to him, of course. He situates the sentence
exactly where it really is: in text. School grammar's obsessive focus
on the individual sentence is one of its major flaws.

Dr. Johanna Rubba, Associate Professor, Linguistics
Linguistics Minor Advisor
English Department
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Tel.: 805.756.2184
Dept. Ofc. Tel.: 805.756.2596
Dept. Fax: 805.756.6374