ATEG Archives

May 2009

From:
David Kehe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 May 2009 16:27:43 -0700

Craig points out that good writers sometimes use the same start in five sentences in a row.  When our lower-level students do this, is it because they feel that this style is most effective for expressing their ideas, or is it because they are unaware of alternative possibilities?

Craig also points out that "given is almost always first and new is almost always last."  Can't this be done using a variety of styles?  Using Craig's sample about the sick dog and grades, a student could write, "My dog is sick.  His sickness is worrying me.  This is affecting my grades."  We could encourage the student to use variety, in which case she might write, "My dog is sick.  Because of its condition, I am worried.  As a result, my grades are getting worse."  Unless we make students aware that there are a variety of styles to choose from and how they can be effectively used, they will never get to the point of realizing that there are situations in which starting five sentences in a row with a subject may be their optimal choice.

I agree with Susan in that students need exposure to and practice with a wide variety of sentence beginnings.  We may even tell them that for practice (in, for example, an isolated paragraph-level task), the majority of their sentences should not start with the subject.  After they have learned these, they'll be able to decide which structures are most effective for explaining their ideas.

 Dave Kehe

Bellingham, WA